Carmen, You Broke my Heart! A Curvy Kate Review

By 5:11 PM

When the Curvy Kate AW2014 catalog came out, I just about died looking at all of the gorgeous colors, patterns, and designs. So many bras I wanted, but the belle of the ball was the Carmen longline, a gorgeous fuchsia half-cup bra with a lime green flower pattern. I loved my Freya Patsy longline so much, so I was really excited to try out more bustier style bras.

I ordered Carmen as soon as she made her way onto FigLeaves. And then she broke my heart.

As beautiful as this bra is, it is by far one of the most awkward fits I have ever encountered in a piece of clothing, which made me very sad.



I ordered Carmen in size 28F. The first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was that the bustier section is pretty short and has very wide elastic at the bottom with a large zig-zag stitch. I wasn't crazy about that because I had hoped it would go a bit farther down my torso and the bottom of the bra would be more seamless. The back of the bra has four rows of hooks and eyes, as opposed to six on the Freya Patsy longline.





The inside of the cups features two vertical seams - standard half-cup cut. The gore comes up fairly high and it's wide, which is not ideal for my close-set breasts.


Now, onto the fit. Here is where all the awkwardness really begins. It looks decent from the front, but from the side, you can see the fit issues - at least some of them. The pictures don't do any justice to how strange it really looked on me. The bra basically seemed to be running away from my body. There was gaping in the cups and all sorts of bumps and kinks everywhere. The gore was sitting on my breast tissue and constricting me, and the wide elastic on the bottom did not look nearly as smooth on me as it did on the model.




I wanted this bra to work for me so badly, but it was not even coming close. I hope there are some ladies out there that have the right breasts to make this style work, but close-set, full-on-top augmented breasts, beware!

Carmen is available in sizes 28-38 D-J, as is usual with Curvy Kate's designs.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. ME TOO. What you describe is exactly what happened to me, and I'm pretty even (not really shallow or projected, not especially full on top or bottom). It was just so, so awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took one look at the measurements on that sucker and knew it would be a disaster on me or anyone who is not wide and shallow. SIGH. Why does it taunt us so.

    ReplyDelete